>I GOT THE JOB!!!!

October 30, 2006 § 8 Comments

>Okay, folks! I’m going to be working at the raddest nonprofit doing computer-type stuff! Starting tomorrow (maybe?) I’m going to be fully employed at Housing Works.

Here’s their website for those who aren’t familiar:

I’m really happy to be employed by such a great organization!

On a really sad note, a woman in my MFA program, who I didn’t know, passed away this morning from chemo complications. Though I am not sure if I got the chance to meet her, her family is in my thoughts.

On another note, I’m hanging out in Queens with Kim and it’s so cool that we’re going to live near each other once again. She told me that I’m like Heidi from “The Heidi Chronicles” and she’s like Susan. This doesn’t mean anything to me since we haven’t read this play since high school, but I’m still happy to be in a play with Kim, even if it’s only in our imagination. So with my free-time (will I actually have any?) I’m going to refresh myself on that great play.

I already miss Kimberley so much! I know she’s only four hours away, but Boston feels like another planet to me. I could not have been more supported or loved and I’m so glad we had the time together. She’s a best friend to me. Hopefully, we’ll see each other this coming weekend.

Finally, I love you all and will be more in touch now that the job thing is squared away. I’m off to eat lunch and write, write, write.

§ 8 Responses to >I GOT THE JOB!!!!

• Anonymous says:

>Gili, moving to New York is a job in itself! mazel tov on that and on stepping in to something new. I am sorry to hear about the woman in your program. you are a best friend to me too.

>yay.yes, really sad to hear about losing another soul to cancer. we were just talking about cancer today and why there is so much.so excited for you. CONGRATS!!

• Sara says:

>Hi Gili,Congrats on the new job. And being called Heidi in the Heidi Chronicles is a huge compliment – I love that character .

>Hey! I’m reading Wasserstein RIGHT NOW! (Elements of Style)Congratulations! And may all your NY dreams come true!

>does anyone remember that I used to write to Wendy Wasserstein? Rest in Peace. I used to love that play.

>O? I didn’t know that. Maybe I should re-read The Heidi Chronicles while I’m at it. What would you say to her in your letters? (Don’t feel pressured to disclose if you don’t want.) Maybe you can put together a W. W. historical tour for yourself, like go to the places she used to go/write about. (translation- “stalk” her, R.I.P.) That’s one of the things I loved doing in NY.

>how’s elements of stlye? it’s so strange that it came out right when she passed away.

>Yeah, it’s really interesting. It’s kind of a wolf in sheep’s clothing- when you start the book you think it’s just another NY “high society” chick lit confection (like something by Bushnell or Weisberger), but it turned itself around and the ending was surprisingly substantial. I don’t know if you would like it because you have to wade through a lot of brand-name dropping and superficial UES/UWS society kind of stuff, but there’s a lot of W. W. herself reflected in the characters (duh), which I found really insightful. It was influenced about by the birth of her daughter, and I was just about to email you an interesting NY’er article that she wrote. I could see connections between it and the book : http://www.newyorker.com/archive/content/articles/060206fr_archive04?060206fr_archive04I recently finished Little Earthquakes by J Weiner (ALL about new mothers), my self-help book is by “the oldest woman to give birth to twins in the United States” and lot of EoS is about motherhood, so I’m totally freaked out now about having a kid/not having a kid.