>My First Snow As A New Yorker

January 19, 2007 § 11 Comments

>I didn’t think I wanted snow, but when flurries started swirling at lunch, I got a little jubilant (is it possible to be just a little bit jubilant?). It’s hardly enough to make a fuss, but it was the first time this winter. I heard a rumor it’s supposed to snow more over night.

Every Thursday, two volunteers who work upstairs in the café bake spinach pie during their shift. I had a slice and maybe it’s the winter desperation, but I could have eaten the entire pie. Maybe even two of them.

And the best news of all!!!! I broke down and bought a real coat at lunch. Not only is it Polish goose down (sorry, E), but it was also 30 percent off. See, waiting until winter’s half over is a good strategy. Aimee’s going to flip when I reveal where it’s from: UNIQLO!!! I couldn’t help myself. I know, I’m a sheep. (I really AM since my Hebrew name means pretty lamb, my zodiac sign is a ram, and I was born in the year of the sheep.) Blame it on the information anxiety; I had to find out about Uniqlo for myself. The coat is a deep dark blue, almost a black, and it was originally 90 bucks, which is so reasonable and I only paid 60! I can’t complain. I wish I had a digi-cam (how many times will I say this before it actually happens??) so I could model for you all.

I’m loving all the new blogs I’m reading thanks to the residency. Provides me with good reading while I’m “working”. (Is Tavi’s blog the repeater? I’m a little puzzled.) (Here’s a photo I stole from Jen’s flickr site from the residency. This is me and a not very flattering shot of Jessica D out drinking it up in Cambridge. She’s wearing the Bible Camp hoody that I wrote about in an earlier post.)

Tonight, I’m hanging out at home, sipping garlic tea, having a little dark chocolate, and reading more of Englander. I like his writing. He’s a smart storyteller and I can kind of see why two of my mentors recommended him to me.

The early morning rising is HARD. Once I’m out of bed and sitting in front of my computer, I’m okay. Although this first submission is forcing me to consolidate a lot of scenes in my story and I’ve no desire to delete anything. Learning to let go… Truly though, my main concern is finding the momentum to stand up and walk the few feet across my apartment to my desk.

Can someone please tell me how I can stop the frizz? My hair and I are in a big fight and I’m losing. I need to know what works.

§ 11 Responses to >My First Snow As A New Yorker

>i won’t hate you for shopping there.but i WANT TO SEE THE COAT!!early rising is always hard in the deep of winter. even when it’s not really winter (what i’m shivering thru is certainly winter, so i would have eaten the whole pie).don’t wash yr hair as much. or if you do, maybe jojoba in the hair, too??

>i use jojoba shampoo. i only wash it every other day. if i don’t wash it every other day, it turns greasy. any other hints? maybe i’ll look on google.i might try and go to b&h on monday and camera shop.

• >Preface: my comment ties together the two main themes of your post: hair and camera.I figured out that I can control some of the frizz in my hair by twisting it a lot. It just stays that way after a while. I learned this from watching those guys at B&H who are always twisting their side curls–ever notice how frizz-free Jewish guys’s peyot are?

• Bug says:

>it’s so nice to get some news about fashion trends in NY. how do you pronouce uniqlo? For frizz, I’m a big fan of that serum that basically looks like (and is) oil. Citrus shine has one that’s pretty cheap.

>Dude! The internet just deleted my comment.Well, I was saying: OLIVE OIL is the answer to all your hair woes! Take a dab, JUST A DAB, rub it between your hands to warm it up, and run it through your hair and mash it into your scalp before blow drying. The key is to use just a tiny, tiny bit. The blowdrying is important too, because it helps the olive oil spread around. In the end, your hair will be less greasy b/c your body is like, Oh! I guess I don’t have to produce any oil b/c there’s some moisture there already.I tried using a serum (and still have a mostly full bottle of it somewhere) but I found it to make my eyes itchy if my hair blew in my eyes.I’m not upset about your coat’s filling! I have a lot of down items (although, 2nd hand) that I reluctantly LOVE. The main thing is that you stay warm. I was actually going to email you and offer you my turquoise blue puffy coat but I guess you won’t be needing now. What’s the deal with that store?

>gili is not that great at doing the small amounts of things. but i still think you should give it a shot!! at least you’d just be greasy and not sticky 🙂

• Repeater says:

>Hey hey Yes, in fact tavi’s blog is the repeater. I’m so incognito, you know, you can’t be too careful, but here I am blowing it all by telling you. So much for the international spy career. I’ll be with you by Monday, reading back over your earlier post. I just can’t seem to get to blogging yet,(why am I so busy out here in the woods?) though I’m happy to have found yours!

>okay, i’ll buy olive oil after work today. i know, i’m horrible at not over-doing things. i’m going to try. i’m not going to buy the huge container like i did for the honey. now i’m stuck with 3 lbs. of honey and i’ve been told not to ingest honey ever. so it’s going to sit in my fridge until i figure out what other “healing” thing i can use it for.

>With the olive oil, heat is the key. Your body/hair has to be warm in order for it to “melt in.” I apply it when I’m standing in front of the heater.If you don’t like it, you can always add some balsamic vinegar and make a salad. (PS I also put it on a cotton square and use it as eye makeup remover, on those rare eye makeup occasions.)

>maybe you can do a ritual honey dance and then wash it all off. oh, donate it to karen finley! HAHAAA.

>Oh, I was thinking, you should mix together the honey with olive oil, jojoba oil, and coconut oil and call it Blogger Skin Potion!