>Timeline of a Lump

May 17, 2007 § 7 Comments

(The red marking on my back is the best shot of the stitches that I could take.)

January 2007: Discover strange and large lump on my back while staying with my sister in Boston. Compare backs with Kimberley and discover she doesn’t have a matching one.

March 2007: Finally remember to show my dad my lump. He says it’s nothing to worry about.

April 2007: Get alarming phone call from father saying I need a doctor’s appointment. He’s been doing research and he wants to make sure I don’t have cancer.

April 4, 2007: Visit E.R. and after two doctors examine my back, find out I have to go see another doctor to get a biopsy.

April 23, 2007: Go to scariest doctor on the planet who makes Kimberley and I cry. Not only does he not want to do a biopsy, he doesn’t even want to talk about the lump. I have never felt a handshake this limp. The man is garbage as far as I’m concerned.

May 3, 2007: Go back to the same office where scary evil doctor works and meet the other doctor, who happens to be the most perfect doctor in the world. Jekyll and Hyde? She not only gives me tons of attention and care, she offers to do a biopsy on the spot. I’m terrified but keep my cool and the procedure is painless. She answers all my questions and treats me like I’m her favorite patient.

May 14, 2007: My dad examines my back again and flips out. It seems that since the biopsy, the lump has virtually disappeared. We are pleasantly puzzled.

May 17, 2007: Back to my favorite doctor in the universe to get my biopsy stitches removed and to find out what the deal is with my disappearing lump. Turns out it was a lipoma (fatty back) and the doctor was kind enough to remove the lump completely when she tested it. The stitches are out. Everything’s good. Health is restored! Thanks for all the support and love.

songs of the day:
Baby Got Back: Sir Mix-A-Lot
Back in Your Life: Jonathan Richman
Back To Life, Back To Reality: En Vogue

§ 7 Responses to >Timeline of a Lump

>SO HAPPY it’s not a big deal. Whew.Ohh, do you ever watch the show nip/tuck? Sounds like your doctor experience. It’s set in Florida, you might like it.

• Anonymous says:

>like your songs of the day! glad for the relief.

• >Thank goodness. Health scares are terrible. Let’s celebrate when I get there. 🙂

>i am totally confused by that picture. you will show me in person.

• Anonymous says:

>We are all sorry to hear about your unfortunate medical experience with your back. It’s genetic. My son (age 33) and I have had them for years. We basically have them on our arms. Glad you found out they were nothing but fat deposits. Best regards,Gerry Warsetsky

>According to my immediate family history and my doctor, this isn’t a genetic thing. It’s a fluke and I kind of think it’s going to be my last experience with lipomas.

• Leah says:

>Gili,I didn’t know exactly what was going on which only made it all more ominous and scary and concerning–so I am greatly relieved to hear you are well! YAY!! That is great news.