>Lazy Autumn Days
October 15, 2007 § 5 Comments
movies watched: Turkish Delight (B+), Strangers When We Meet (B-), and North By Northwest (A-).
reading: Twilight of the Superheroes by Deborah Eisenberg
Chuck E. Cheese in Astoria: Did you know that the founder of Chuck E. Cheese, Nolan Bushnell was also the founder of Atari? My latest story takes place at a setting largely based on the Chuck E. Cheese Restaurant of my youth. I finished a first draft and to celebrate, Joe and I thought we’d take a trip to the Astoria location, which boasts beer in addition to pizza.
Changes to C.E.C. include, but are not limited to:
1. Light. I remember fumbling around the C.E.C. in Florida, designed like a casino for children, just light enough to find the slot for my tokens.
2. The disappearance of Whac-A-Mole. That’s right. You read that correctly. No more Whac-A-Mole. I asked an attendant where it was and he said, “We don’t have that anymore.” Had there been an incident, a death even?
3. A missing band. There used to be an entire animatronic band. Now Chuck E. Cheese stands alone on a miniature stage, his music drowned out by the stadium-size room full of families and new video games. (Luckily there’s still Skee Ball.)
NEVER RELIVE CHILDHOOD MEMORIES.
Things I keep forgetting to mention:
1. I saw Jade from America’s Next Top Model, buying jewelry on the street. Best celebrity sighting ever! She’s scary in real life, too.
2. I got new boots, but I think they shrank in the rain.
3. Phillip Lopate read this past Friday. The man is adorable.
(note about pictures: see? my roof is gigantic and amazing!)