>Belated Father’s Day Post

July 2, 2009 § 6 Comments

The last time I visited Florida, my father had collected about 60 (maybe 70?) boxes of All-Bran in the kitchen cupboard. These pictures don’t do justice to the magnitude/seriousness of his stockpile. I meant to build a tower of boxes and photograph the sculpture, but time escaped me.

Happy Father’s Day to the most fibrous of fathers!

I had the idea to send these photos along with a letter to All-Bran with the hopes of the company rewarding my father in some way, but then I realized there may be a lot of other All-Bran fans, who are just as zealous about the cereal as is my father.

(Check out the bottom of the second picture where you can see all the other cereals lined up in our cupboard. Apparently it’s our family’s goal to keep Kellogg’s in business.)

§ 6 Responses to >Belated Father’s Day Post

• Tammie says:

>this is wild.how? why? i mean, i understand regularity is probably the issue but aren't some of those boxes going to become outdated before he can use them? does he just buy some every time Publix has them Buy One Get One Free? has Dad tried the All Bran fiber drink mix? i have a half a box in my pantry and id be happy to send him a sample.:)

• Gili Warsett says:

>My dad takes his heart health very seriously. We have heart problems in the family, so All-Bran is part of a very strict diet that may or may not have been invented by my father. He will go through these boxes rapidly, worry not. Yes, he's all about the buy-one-get-one-free Publix sale. You nailed it.I don't think he's tried the drink mix. I'm sure he would love a sample. Believe it or not, he eats All-Bran dry. No milk added.Okay, my dad is probably not thrilled with all the fiber exposure. Beyond All-Bran, he is an amazing man and a wonderful father and I love him very much. All-Bran is just one of his many charms. I am a very lucky woman to have such wonderful parents.Happy Father's Day!

• Dad says:

>Flattery will get you everywhere! By the way, isn't the old saying, "you are what you eat," relevant here?By the way, Kellogg is in Michigan, one of those other states somewhere west of New York. Their economy is really depressed, but since I'm not in the market for another car, I thought this might help. Thanks for being a great, loving daughter. Love, Dad

• Tammie says:

>i hope you (and Dad) didnt think i was making fun of him. i see that he comments here from time to time and he does seem like a pretty cool guy.happy belated fathers day gili's dad.

• Tammie says:

>oh, and the drink mix is not that good. it tastes somewhat like ice tea from a can.

• Gili Warsett says:

>Not all, Tammie! I loved your comment. I just wanted to protect him because I worried I embarrassed him with all the fiber exposure. I was watching a video on youtube, which Riva sent me called "Web Site Story," by the group, College Humor and at the end of the video, one character says something like, "I can't wait to go home and read about myself on your blog." It's true: I do take advantage of stories where I see them. I'm not apologizing as this is a writer's job.Worry not, Tammie. You are delightful!